pgoeol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel
Default Confused between BIS/BES network connetion strings

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I'm new to BB development and stuck on a problem related to network connection via BIS/BES.
In my application I've used ;deviceside=false;ConnectionType=mds-public as the string to be appended on the connection URL. I've installed the application on my blackberry handset which is connected to a BES and a policy has been applied by the BES administrator which restrict my device to make external network connections.
This setting is working fine as a result most of the application stopped working (due to inability of web access) including google maps but my application is working seamlessly.

As of now I know that ;deviceside=false;ConnectionType=mds-public is used for BIS network access. Plz tell me whether I'm right or not, and if I'm right then how can I ensure that my application will route all the network data via BES only.

Thnx in advance...
Pulkit
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Dougsg38p
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Use CoverageInfo to determine if you are on a BES.

If you are, remove the connection parameters, they are not needed on a BES network.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
pgoeol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the reply...

I've read on internet that
;deviceside=false;ConnectionType=mds-public is required to be added if device is connected to BIS
;deviceside=false; is required to be added if device is connected to BES

So if no special string is required in case of BES then plz tell me what are the scenarios when these string should be appended in the URL.

Pulkit
Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Dougsg38p

No string is required for BES. No parameter says "give me the default connection", which is BES if the device is on a BES, period.

BIS-B requires a parameter. Let me warn you that RIM controls BIS-B (this is basically a version of BES that is hosted by RIM), and applications must be individually approved for BIS-B usage.

The other scenarios where you need a parameter is highly carrier-specific.

See this article:

Livelink - Redirection

And this one:

Livelink - Redirection
Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
pgoeol
Thumbs Must Hurt

hi,

thank you so much for the reply...

i'm sorry if i'm bothering u but i want to confirm one last thing, as i've already told u that i'm using ;deviceside=false;ConnectionType=mds-public as extraString appended to URL. After reading the stuff you have posted I believe that my application is still routing all the data through BES (instead of BIS)...
please correct me if I'm wrong...

thans again...

Pulkit
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

This thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/deve...-over-bis.html seems to indicate that ConnectionType=mds-public is a requester for BIS connection, but that it may be neither necessary nor sufficient.

The way to be sure in all cases is to look for the ServiceRecord for the connection you want (Desktop [IPPP] in your case) and use the ConnectionUID from that record. This allows you do select between BES, Unite and BIS if you have all three services on the Blackberry.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
pgoeol
Thumbs Must Hurt

hi,

thanks for replying...
actually the same connection string also works when I'm not connected to a BES, so it means that it is using BIS in that case... as we know that direct TCP connections can be made by appending deviceSide=true, thus it must be making connections with BIS... but problem arises when i connect the device with BES (with IT policy: External Connections = false), in this case I'd like to ensure that when the device is not allowed to make BIS connections even then my application will work...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Dougsg38p

You can make a BIS or a Direct connection, bypassing BES on a device that has BES, provided that this is not restricted by the BES IT policies.

Generally, this *IS* restricted, so that a malicious app cannot act as a bridge between the secure BES network, and other non-secure connections.

If you explicitly open a BIS-B connection on a BES device (assuming it is allowed), then you are routing through BIS-B, net BES.

My suggestion: always detect the BES connection and use it if available. This is the correct decision 95% of the time.

One other comment: BIS-B is reserved for alliance members, and these BIS credentials are given only after RIM app approval and, and under strict confidentiality agreement.

If you are an alliance member, you are violating your NDA agreement. If not, then I reckon somebody else did!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsg38p View Post

If you are an alliance member, you are violating your NDA agreement. If not, then I reckon somebody else did!

To whom is this statement addressed?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #10
hippocamp software
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

i doubt it's personal, anyone and everyone knows about the suffix if they've developed for blackberry for any length of time.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippocamp software View Post
i doubt it's personal, anyone and everyone knows about the suffix if they've developed for blackberry for any length of time.
Perhaps.

My use to the connectionUID from ServiceRecords follows from an examination and understanding of the source code for RIM's NetworkDiagnostic tool, which is recommended by one of their public training videos.

In any case if anything discussed on this thread is considered by RIM to be 'credentials' they are being very credulous.