BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default Two 8700c's in four days, they feel different but still have screen issues

Please Login to Remove!

So I got an 8700c for $99 from a nice rep in the Cingular corporate store in Columbus, IN last Friday, and all I had to was renew my agreement for two years (and I got the cheaper BIS plan to boot). Upgrading from my 7290 that I have had since March '05, the difference was astounding. So fast, so much better to use as a phone, such a pretty display.

However, that 8700c had issues...by the time I got home I had noticed that they had actually given me a used one, as it had about 44 entries in the address book and an owner listed that wasn't me. Also, whenever I was looking at a screen that was mostly white (like emails, web pages, etc), I could see that the right half of the display had a strange blue tinge to it. And it was exactly half -- it started right in the middle. I also noticed the keyboard rocked back and forth quite a bit when I pressed the keys. I could have lived with the fact that it was used if the screen hadn't been messed up, but I couldn't stand that blue tinge so I took it to my local Cingular store yesterday and asked for a replacement. They gladly did so.

My new one is different. The keyboard is rock-stiff -- almost too stiff, although I like it better than the wobbly one -- and the holster is different. The holster for my first one had two tabs in the side pieces where it actually "clicks" onto the BlackBerry; the new one is completely solid. Finally, the new one still has screen issues, but not as bad as my first one. Again, it's only on the right half of the screen, but this time there's the tiniest pink tinge to it. I've decided I'm going to live with it because it's very slight and in most cases I can't see it.

Has anyone else with multiple 8700s noticed this much of a difference between them? Has anyone else noticed anything strange with their screens like I have?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
thenewnoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just got a replacement one from T-mobile yesterday and I noticed there was a pink tint to the screen. All the links on the browser were pink instead of white. I call them up and they are sending me another one.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
egale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I have had two. No screen issues like you said but my second one is quicker to dim and brighten based on ambient light conditions. The return button is also less springy on the newer one. Guess quality control is not that great.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
meezerbean
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewnoise
I just got a replacement one from T-mobile yesterday and I noticed there was a pink tint to the screen. All the links on the browser were pink instead of white. I call them up and they are sending me another one.

Ditto, on 3 of 9 I have for my execs...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Gmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

just to add my two cents.... I have had 4 now myself. Never had screen issues, but did realize the ability for the screen to dim and ambiant screen (the 2 modes of screen brightness) only work if the battery is charged. If you have only 2 bars, you only get one brightness.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
mrogers

I don't know what to do...the pink half of the screen is sort of still bothering me. I'm not sure if I want to go get another one or not. The people at the Cingular store would probably think I'm nuts. It's very slight, but I have sharp eyes and I can see it. At the same time, I'm not convinced I'd get a defect-free one at this point.

I just asked someone in the office if they could see anything wrong with my screen and they said no. I'll probably just deal with it.

Also, has anyone else noticed the two different holster designs? I searched around but I can't find any mention of it. I want to figure out which model of the holster is the "revised" design. I'd take a picture but I don't have a camera with me...I'll see if I can scrounge up something from the web.

EDIT: OK, here's the first one I had:

The second one, my new one, doesn't have those tabs on the side. It's completely solid.

Last edited by mrogers; 06-28-2006 at 09:27 AM..
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers
Also, has anyone else noticed the two different holster designs? I searched around but I can't find any mention of it. I want to figure out which model of the holster is the "revised" design. I'd take a picture but I don't have a camera with me...I'll see if I can scrounge up something from the web.

The second one, my new one, doesn't have those tabs on the side. It's completely solid.
I haven't used the solid holster you describe, but the tabs break off the pictured holsters fairly easy. I believe the tabbed version was the original and the solid is the revised.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
thenewnoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers
I don't know what to do...the pink half of the screen is sort of still bothering me. I'm not sure if I want to go get another one or not. The people at the Cingular store would probably think I'm nuts. It's very slight, but I have sharp eyes and I can see it. At the same time, I'm not convinced I'd get a defect-free one at this point.

I just asked someone in the office if they could see anything wrong with my screen and they said no. I'll probably just deal with it.
No one else in my office would have noticed the pink tint but im not going to deal with that crap. Send it back.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
thenewnoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

i just got the 2nd replacement and the whole right half of the screen is pink.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
mrogers

So this is apparently is not an isolated issue. I assume you are going to have that one replaced?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
thenewnoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah im not staring at a pink screen
Old 06-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
mrogers

OK, got a third replacement today. It finally appears to be defect-free. The screen is completely uniform, and the keyboard is the perfect mix of my first 8700c (too wobbly) and my second 8700c (too stiff). This one's just right (haha, couldn't resist).

My friends are pretty sick of me changing my PIN every two days this week, but it looks like I'm sticking with this one! Unfortunately my Best Skins Ever full-body that I ordered last Saturday isn't here yet, and I'm leaving for a trip today. Guess I'll just have to be really careful.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
mrogers

One oddity about this new one: so far I don't think it's EVER gone up to full brightness on its own. But that's OK, because the screen on this one is so bright that its "dim" mode is nearly as bright as "bright" on my other two. "Bright", if I activate it manually with the top button, is insanely bright.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
thenewnoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm still waiting for my 3rd replacement. Hopefully it works correctly this time
Closed Thread