Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950
Carrier: T-Mobile
Talking Posting Rules

Please Login to Remove!

I think there is a rule where you have to post 10 times before you can create a link in a message.

How about a rule where you have to search 10 times before you can post?

Is that too harsh? Is it even possible?

Jon
Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Its a good idea, but it would push people away from the site. When they get here they feel welcome, and even though they should search, its still a forum about helping people with their blackberries. Besides, I don't think it's possible.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I think option94 hit it right on the head. I have made a number of suggestions myself, all of which were shot down. Long story short... If we put too many rule or restrictions in place people will go else where and the site will die off.

Keeping the site vistor friendly is something that all the moderators take very seriously. We spend a lot of time removing SPAM and keeping the riff-raffs out. Do we get tired of answering the same questions over and over? You bet we do. I have found that the best way of handling the repeated questions is 1) ignore them, or 2) respond with a link pointing to the answer.

The other thing that everyone needs to remember is that searching is not the get-all solution. People that are new to the BlackBerry world don't always know what key term to search for. Other times the thread with the perfect answer is old and buried in the search results.

Try and help your fellow visitors out and point them in the right direction. If we all do that, BlackBerryForums.com will continue to grow.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Mftp
Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

so i'm pretty sure this is not even possible, but it's an idea and here it goes.... is there a way to just eliminate re-posts all together? like say you get the couple of guys who post the EXACT same question in several threads....could you do something to prevent the same question from being asked more than once? like if someone did that maybe send them a message saying "i'm sorry your question has already been asked, here is a link to the relevant post" or something to that effect? just a thought, like i said, probably would never work, but it's a thought

PIN: 2031512F
Old 08-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

it's not possible with any hack/modification that i've ever seen, short of a lot of tedious work by moderators.

also, the 10-b4-links rule is in place not to piss off newbie users for 10 posts, but rather to keep spammers away from the website.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
also, the 10-b4-links rule is in place not to piss off newbie users for 10 posts, but rather to keep spammers away from the website.
I wondered what the actual reason was for that.....
Old 08-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
I wondered what the actual reason was for that.....
if our members could actually see the number of deleted threads/posts are here due to spammers making their first posts few posts, you'd be thankful (especially since we get a number of malicious spammers who have malicious code in their links). a good majority of users on here won't use links in their first 10 posts. it has been suggested the number be changed to 5, which may be a reasonable request as it should have the same desired impact to spammers but less of one to our standard users.